Friday, June 11, 2010

Books24x7

Ok, two things first off:
1. This post is for Guardians/Coasties...sorry, my family and friends.
2. I'm gonna sound like an advertisement...sorry everyone else.

Today we had the D14 Career Development Advisor, BMC Bearden, come out to visit us. He gave a presentation on four topics: Goal Setting, Advancement, Education and Finances. It was a fantastic round-up of all the many, many, many resources available to active duty, reservists and families. One of the tidbits during his Education section was about online study materials available.

He mentioned the Coast Guard Learning Portal, and about accessing SkillSoft through the Portal. SkillSoft is a bunch of online courses where you can work towards certifications in different topics, mostly IT stuff. But SkillSoft also links you to...Books24x7.

This was the first time I had heard about Books24x7. Oh. My. GOODNESS!! It's like a library and amazon.com or Borders or Barnes & Noble all combined. I just spent the last (yikes!) hour perusing their titles. They've got thousands of titles available on line, entire books that you can read, FOR FREE!! The Commandant's Reading List is on there. There's stuff on health and well-being, buying a home, leadership, government...I even found a good book for refreshing my knowledge of statistics as I prepare for grad school.

It's even set up for use on mobile devices.

Ok, ok, I know it's kinda geeky, but I'm really excited about reading lots of cool books about leadership and management without having to even go to the library. Did I mention for FREE?

Thanks Coast Guard Institute!

To get there: log into the Coast Guard Learning Portal (uses your @uscg.mil email address...it's where we have to do lots of that GMT training including the annual computer security training), click on the SkillSoft link at the middle bottom of the page. Once on the SkillSoft page, the Books24x7 link is on the top menu bar, far right.

No comments: