Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Last Few Weeks


Here are some pictures from the last few weeks. This first one is from a hike that I took from Schofield to Waikane in the center of the island (Oahu). It was about 14 miles round trip. Yes, I was tired when I got done...and hungry when I got to this spot, which looks out over the windward side of the island.





Then last week I went to the Big Island for about six days. I stayed at a lovely little studio place just outside of Kapoho, called Lava Rock Hale. Eric and Diane have made a wonderfully inviting place out there, with this little round house, complete with four nice dogs and one old horse. I got a kick out of saying "Hi, horse" to him every morning. The last morning I was there, I shared a papaya with him, and laughed as he dribbled papaya juice down his chin.






But the main reason I went to the Big Island was to check out my property at Leilani Estates. I've had it for about four years, bought it when I was stationed out here before...and haven't really done much with it since. And, oddly enough, things grow fast and big here in the tropics when there's plenty of rain like there is in Leilani. So this is what I was facing...





I weed-eated (weed-ate?) for hours, for days. I was able to find the driveway.









And then some of the back of the property.

And lots of cut trees in the middle...

I got about half of the 1.29 acres cleared back. Some of it I kinda cheated on. The grass was mixed in with some sort of pea-like legume. I cut the tops of the grass and legume back to about mid-thigh level on me, and then crushed it by stepping on it. I'll have some great mulch/compost in a little bit.

But I enjoyed myself. There's something very gratifying about working hard, and being able to look back at the end of the day and seeing in such a graphic way what you got done.

One last photo from the trip. This is looking down one of the back roads near Kapoho. I love these old mango trees. The state of Hawaii has designated them Exceptional Trees...and I totally agree.

No comments: