Tuesday, September 1, 2009

A Slight Setback

We've learned a little more about what's wrong with the alignment of the starboard shaft. In totally technical terms...it's bad out of whack. Our SMEs have provided their recommendation, which is to redock the ship and start adjusting the alignment at the strut bearings. Ideally, this will take about two weeks. I'm more of a realist, though, so I'm gonna guess more like three or four.

WWAAAAAANNNNNHHHHH!!!!

Over the weekend, there wasn't much drydock work going on onboard. Lots of stuff behind the scenes, with phone calls and emails back and forth about how the work should go, but not many hands on wrenches.

Now on Monday, there wasn't much drydock work going on onboard. Lots of stuff behind the scenes, with phone calls, emails and memos back and forth about who is responsible and who is going to pay for the repairs, but not many hands on wrenches.

I don't know what Tuesday is gonna bring, but I have my doubts about the hands on wrenches part...or even preparations for redocking like pumping off the liquid load or preparing the blocks, because we'll still be working out the contracting details. Ugh, I'm starting to sound cynical.

It's the worst kind of Groundhog Day, because right now, we don't know when it's going to end. We're in Groundhog Limbo. Everything else is on hold.

And in the meantime, we're racking up some other expenses that I hope are taken into account when the final cost analysis of this little adventure is done even though they may be from different pots of money. Like the berthing costs (over $200K), the rental car costs ($100/day), FSA ($250/married member/month), unit funded fuel purchases for the rental vehicles ($700/month), wear and tear on GSA vehicles traveling no less than 70 miles/day from the hotel to shipyard and back (GSA contacted us a couple of weeks ago to ask about the mileage, figuring there was a mistake after so many years of 5 miles/day travel-to the local post office to get our mail), the roundtrip flights back to the Big Island for married members once every 60 days to see their families (every 60 days?!?!?! Hell, am I supposed to say, "at least they got to go home at all"?), and hopefully, with the grace of HQ, the enlisted BAS-II to defer the expense of living for nearly six months without kitchen facilities ($324/enlisted person (18 onboard)/month).

I'm not quite sure how to quantify some of the other costs like: nearly two months more (my math was bad earlier...I shouldn't try to add numbers in my head) the days away from homeport than we're allowed by the Commandant for this fiscal year; the member's wife who lived alone in CG housing without her husband, or any of their furniture because he was on another island and their house-hold goods delivery was delayed for 20 days; or the wallet, ID and backpack stolen from a crewmember's hotel room while he was sleeping in his bed, 15 feet away. Don't know how to add those up into money exactly.

As the Kinks would say, "Here's wishing you the bluest sky,/And hoping something better comes tomorrow./Hoping all the verses rhyme/And all the shafts align (just kidding--that wasn't the Kinks, that was me...apologies Kinks),/And the very best of choruses to/Follow all the drudge and sadness.I know that better things are on the way.

I know you've got a lot of good things happening up ahead./The past is gone it's all been said./So here's to what the future brings, I know tomorrow you'll find better things./I hope tomorrow you'll find better things."

1 comment:

Azulao said...

My tax dollars at work, darling. You're welcome.

I'm kidding, obviously; you *are* welcome and I'd a heap rather spend the $$ on you than on Cash for Clunkers, not that I was asked!

I am truly sorry about this situation! It's not like it was anyone's fault, but *someone* had to deal with the sh*t and I guess it's you.

/sympathy and hugs