Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer Plans

I love having choices. Options are *great* in my world. They make planning (which is What I Do) so much easier. And thanks to my wonderful Coast Guard, or at least my fantastically supportive Program Manager and his boss, I had a couple of options this summer.

The entering argument was that I had to be in Hawaii to help out with some family stuff. Well, I guess there was an option there too. I could have chosen not to come out to support my family...but that would have led to a life-time of regret (regrets are a total waste of time) and was quickly discarded as a viable choice. I could have taken leave and just had the whole summer off. Couple of problems with that: 1) that's a whopping lot of leave, 2) I think I would have lost my mind with boredom from not having something constructive to do, and 3) what would I blog about along the way?

So my aforementioned Program Manager and his boss got in touch with a contact at District 14 and asked if they'd be interested in having a warm body, with some experience in the AOR, to work for them this summer. Long story short, I'm doing some time at D14 (dre/drm) as the interim D14 Patrol Boat Manager until the end of July when the PCS fellow gets in, and also working on some projects with the Command Center that haven't gotten a huge amount of attention due to chronic personnel short-falls.

How COOL is THAT!?!

PS - I almost made my post/week this week. I know it's kinda a short one, and it's a day late...but I'm trying.

3 comments:

lori said...

The RADM Charlies Ray is one of the best I have ever had the opportunity to work for. Enjoy your time in the district office.

uncle heathen said...

That is cool! Except I have no idea what you are talking about re: work.
Except the warm body part.

Just a Girl said...

Uncle, I'll try to explain a little better...I admit to being lazy with explaining what I was doing.

"So my aforementioned Program Manager and his boss (the folks I report to while I'm in grad school) got in touch with a contact at District 14 (the folks in Honolulu) and asked if they'd be interested in having a warm body, with some experience in the AOR (I've been stationed here in Hawaii before, so I know a little bit about the challenges of working way out in the middle of the Pacific), to work for them this summer. Long story short, I'm doing some time at D14 (dre/drm) (the office I'm working in) as the interim D14 Patrol Boat Manager (my job title) until the end of July when the PCS fellow gets in (it's only temporary), and also working on some projects with the Command Center that haven't gotten a huge amount of attention due to chronic personnel short-falls. (They're busy and are short-staffed...the extra warm body is being put to good use)"