Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Good Kind of Problems

Yup, I got good problems...

First, I am so freaking full. Like belly-popping, sitting on the couch moaning kind of full. I'm staying in Waikiki tonight, and hadn't made any prior arrangements (read: no TV dinners in the freezer). So I went out to find some grinds. I stumbled on a teeny sushi bar, and gorged myself. For only $15.50!! In Waikiki!!! Too cool.

I got rained on walking back to my hotel. The remnants of Hurricane Felicia. But we need the rain, and it gives me a good excuse to take hot shower and wrap up in comfy pjs.

And my arm hurts. For the fifth day in a row. From my new tattoo :) It's gonna be so pretty when it's done. It's not so pretty right now, all peely and scabbed up. But it hurts from the skin being too tight, kinda like a bad Indian burn all around my bicep.

Like I said...the good kind of problems.

But while I was feasting on too much sushi (yummy shrimp tempura rolls, spicy hamachi, miso soup, spicy sesame salad, and edamame--it hurts just thinking about it all), I thought about how much my brain is going to ooze out of my brain when I go to a shoreside job. I got a phone call from a good friend today who is CO of another patrol boat in another location. We spent a delightful 45 minutes railing against poor support for our beleaguered crews and cutters. It was so cathartic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

We call it going to the dark side in academia -- leaving the faculty for the administration. It annoys the hell out of me when competent faculty 1) diss their colleagues who become administrators and 2) administrators forget everything they ever learned about being faculty.

What happens is that when you leave the lab and the classroom for the office, suddenly sins of commission suddenly become far, far more serious than sins of omission. If you *do* something that backfires (or even that works but is painful for some reason), many more people are affected than if you don't do something and just make people cranky. In short.

Read Dean Dad for wonderful insights into moving from the front line to the commissaire's office.

Faculty who are prima donas usually make terrible administrators -- they want to act fast taking into account only their own point of view because it's always served them well in the past -- so if you are thinking about doing this, carefully train yourself to pause and think, "What else is this decision going to do?"

All that said, yes, doing your ****ing job is still the main thing. Ignoring emails, answering only the easy question and not the three hard ones in someone's letter, following rules slavishly because it's easier (even when the rules allow for flexibility), and asking for reports which you are then going to ignore totally -- do your ****ing job.

Love the sushi problem!
--Azulao, too sorry to log in

Dad said...

test comment